April 30, 2006
- And that, ladies and germs, is why I did all that (heh) training. 2:12:28, a 10-minute improvement on last year and new PB for the half-marathon. And a weigh-in at 94.4kg hitting my April target cleanly.
I ache and I'm till and sore and my thighs are chafed raw, but I feel bloody marvellous.
April 28, 2006
- 3 mile jog to keep limber. Harder than expected.
April 25, 2006
- 30 miles on the bike. Good and trundly. Weigh-in 96.2kg, creeping steadily towards that 95kg target.
April 23, 2006
- Swimming goodness - 22 lengths, some crawl improvement by thinking of the stroke as a climb instead of a forward motion. Breathing still iffy, though.
April 22, 2006
- 4.5 mile run in my usual 45 minutes. Decided not to do more in order to pamper my shinsplints. Let's hope this pays off!
April 19, 2006
- 20 fixie miles and an espresso. Nice ride.
April 18, 2006
- Good lunchtime swim: straight in for 8 nonstop lengths (first two crawl); then made up 8 lengths of crawl among breaststroke and sploshing. Total about 20 lengths. Bought a nose-clip as I think it might help with the breathing issues I'm enjoying. And I'll try not to use it as Sam's offered helpful advice of training my dive reflex. Woot!
April 16, 2006
- Bad run. Got 3 miles of an inteded 8 before my shins blew up - they were a bit twingey and I knew I was risking it. Oops. Walked home and am now choffing aspirin and doing some hardcore nothing for a while to rest them up. Still, it's not all gloom: weigh-in at 96.4Kg.
April 14, 2006
- Ride to the pool and back, so I'm going to call that a 6.5-mile / 40 minute / 6.5 mile brick.
April 12, 2006
- 6.5 miles, 64:13. Mmm, that 10-minute mile pace will haunt me to the grave, or at least until I've shifted more belly. Let's see the marathon lads run fast with a sack of coal :) Was going to do more but all the amber lights came on at mile 5.
April 10, 2006
- Rest day so I've been hitting the numbers. I've been using the tools here to work out a basal metabolic rate, and then calorie intakes for maintenance and for my goal weightloss based on activity levels.
I'm taking the "moderate" activity band, because though I train regularly, it's not as much as it sounds and my job is quite sedentary. Better to underestimate than overestimate my activity! Goal weightloss is 1kg per week. The numbers I've come up with are:
So as long as I stay under the "maintain" figure, I'll be losing weight. If I stay around the "lose" figure, I'll be losing at my target rate.
The maths shows clearly that sustained moderate restriction will lead to a greater overall calorie deficit than more intense restriction with bad "off the wagon" days. If I starve down to 1200 but blow it with a weekend 10000 junkfood and booze, I end up at 17200; 1750 all week is 12250 for 5000kcals - over a pound! - and no miserable starvation or wallowing guilt.
So sustained moderate restriction it is. 1750 kcals/day until GW1, 95kg. Bring it on!
- Weekly weigh-in: 97.6kg. Trend down, baby, trend down.
April 09, 2006
- 45 minutes in the Riverside pool, which was fun 'cos it was the tail end of family time and there were kids bombing and riding stacks of floats all over the place. Got some okay crawl done and bollocked around with some dives and breath work and the like. "Munky blow bubbles" chanted over and over seems surprisingly effective as breath control.
April 08, 2006
- 28 bike miles. Strong westerly, so I went in super-fast and super hard keeping an average speed over 20mph; then of course had a ghastly heavy chew of a ride back so just as hard but much. much slower. Puff, puff.
Tried Squeezy energy gel; wasn't impressed. Not much bump, and it sat heavily. SIS is still preferred.
April 07, 2006
- Ran the long loop - intended to do the short loop twice for eight miles, but changed my mind when I was out. Quite a good run. Unfortunately also a slow one: in 44:38 that makes a 9:50 mile pace. Damned bogus distance measurements! Observations:
1) It's about at the end of that that I need a boost - water and a gel.
2) A bit still at the start, do a couple of hundred yards of warmup stuff first.
3) That went nicely on a very empty stomach - nothing for 4h.
April 05, 2006
- 21 bike miles, nice and agressive.
April 04, 2006
- Just 3 miles fixie errands around town.
- Weigh-in: 98.2kg. Yay!
April 03, 2006
- Rough day: Took the day's ECA too early and too close and was wired and grumpy all day. Finally managed (goaded by silly competitiveness) to cram a hard 3-mile pace run in at 21:30 with a bellyful of food. Still managed 24:46, 8:15 mile pace, which wasn't half bad.
April 02, 2006
- 40 minutes in the pool. Major highlights: (1) getting two lengths with a touch-turn without gasping for breath, and (2) managing some stroke-stroke-breathe crawl for a little bit. That felt really good - really efficient - so I'll work on that too.
April 01, 2006
- 40 minutes on the treadmill on interval programme, then later, 10 miles on the fixie hard and flat, Wells to Glastonbury and back along the main road.
Got to the end and not found the entry you're looking for? Check the archive for older stuff. This blog started on May 1st 2002, so don't expect to find anything before then.