March 30, 2006
- 14 lengths in the pool (Pyramids, lunchtime), crawl form coming along slowly. Nice and empty.
March 28, 2006
- 17 miles on the bike: into work and out to Makro for a lift home.
March 26, 2006
- 6 mile run. 52:57 with a midway split of 26:14, so nice and consistent. Average mile pace just undre nine minutes, which is my 2h target if I can keep it up. Observations: 1) nipple taping is your friend. 2) I sweat about 1/3 pint per mile: remember hydration. 3) If your pace flags, flick to a punchier track on the 'pod. Finished with perfunctory stretching and a hot/cold shower.
March 24, 2006
- Well if the rain won't stop, I'll just have to run in it. 3 mile placeholder instead of the intended 6-miles. Nice and easy, and I got to shakedown my new tri shorts.
PLAN: Right, time is short. I need to get a 6-mile in on Sunday and then in the subsequent weekends an 8-mile and 10-mile run. Ideally two tens to get used to the pain, er, joy. Aiee!
March 22, 2006
- Brickly goodness. 6 miles bike, 12 lengths in the pool, then 9 miles bike. Add a few more to bring the bike total to 20 miles. And ouch. And sore. And I'm so going to sleep tonight!
March 20, 2006
- 3 mile run, gently, 27:23 (9:08 mile pace). Good, the ankles are more or less working. I've been running too far forward on the balls of my feet; bringing the gait back a little works.
March 19, 2006
- Just 6 miles of trailer bike chores today. Ankles are still iffy.
March 18, 2006
- Early morning swim. Half an hour practising my crawl (got fatigued after that - new muscles, ouch). Managed two decent, clean lengths among the session. Pleased with that.
March 17, 2006
- Abortive run: bad ankles, need to work on my stride. Did half an hour on Nero on the rollers instead.
March 15, 2006
- 30 mile commute. The ride in was good, the ride back was one of those "I will not stop or snack" mental endurance tests. Arrived home shaky and inhaled a salady sandwich, some ears and a few peanut M&Ms along with the mandatory gallon of tea.
March 14, 2006
- 90 minutes in the pool, warming up and being taught crawl. Good stuff. V tired.
March 12, 2006
- Evening: 100 crunches, 4x25.
- 4 miles, 38:23 with a blown ankle. Couldn't find my stride at all and the ankle strained on the hill sprint. I'll pamper this for a while. 101.2kg.
March 11, 2006
- Some thoughts on ECA: I'm currently taking 16mg ephedrine hydrochloride, 150mg caffeine, 150mg aspirin. That's a ratio of 1:10:10, a little high on the aspirin but you try finding smaller dose aspirin and there's only so small you can break a pill..! I'm taking that three times a day during the week, twice a day at weekends. I leave about 5h between doses and make my last dose before 19:00 'cos otherwise I'm up all night. The weekend bit is no plan, I just wake up late!
The anorectic effect (appetite suppression) is marked right now: I'm actually unhungry rather than just not hungry; I have to make a point of eating. This is very weird for a glutton like me! Still it means that I'm always training on an empty stomach and I feel very light for having such an empty gut. Now, the anorectic effect fades as you acclimatise, so I'll do one more week of ECA then take about a week off before coming back onto it.
The thermogenic effec is harder to gauge. When I train, I sweat more heavily; when I finish training I'm hot for longer; when I sleep I'm quite hot. And I'm drinking amazing amounts of water and juicy water (as well as discovering the lunch of the anorexic: venti skinny latte - filling and yummy with almost no food value, heh).
March 10, 2006
- 5 mile run. Ugly stuff, only managed the second half 'cos of some rather fine Dropkick Murphys fighting songs. No time 'cos my watch was in bits on the kitchen table.
I was just comparing this training cycle to last year's, and I'm heartened to see that I'm not horribly behind the way I thought I was. Go go gadget muscle memory. Problem is that I want to do significantly better than last year..!
March 08, 2006
- 30 mile commute. Bonky and grim on the way back, not helped by finding yet another fresh roadside shrine so some splatted bloke and a roadkill badger. Assholes.
March 06, 2006
- One mile run. Very, very tired - running on 3-4h sleep, which is entirely my fault. Early night tonight.
- Weigh in, 103.4kg, 33%. Bah.
March 05, 2006
- Bike with trailer, 12 miles into headwinds, hard and heavy work. Puff puff!
March 03, 2006
- 3 miles fast: 26:30, which makes for an 8:50 mile pace. Under the nine-minute barrier. Good dicipline too: pre-run ECA and a poo; double-skin socks and unpadded bike shorts (chafe-b-gone) and a protein shake and stretching after.
I do like the eph!
March 01, 2006
- 30 mile commute in the snow! And back on the ECA: 8mg / 100mg / 100mg, 3x daily. Mmm, ephedrine...
Got to the end and not found the entry you're looking for? Check the archive for older stuff. This blog started on May 1st 2002, so don't expect to find anything before then.