July 29, 2005
- 37 miles: Commute plus Critical Mass.
July 26, 2005
- Fixed Nero's wheel, retensioned both, and burned out a quick 25 miles to get the bastard back in his cage. Sore and happy.
July 24, 2005
- Dunwich Dynamo, alas not glorious this year. The bad bike setup (should've gone on a 60-mile shakedown) and a series of mechanicals (broken spokes: should've retensioned the wheels after the Mallet) eroded my pace and destroyed my gumption: by 5am I packed. So, 75 miles of Dynamo, plus the station and London traffic, call it 90 miles for the weekend. Not shabby, but not what I wanted. The bike needs a proper Brooks saddle: there's a huge difference between comfy for an hour and comfy for eight. Ah well. I didn't respect the distance, and it punished me. Can't say fairer than that.
Of course, this means my fixie challenge card is unmarked. That will have to be addressed!
July 17, 2005
- Did the 30km Mallet's Bash offroad ride. On the fixie. Oh, blimey, that was hard. Hardy-hard mcHard and the Hard twins. Did a lot of walking up steep bits, got my ride-to-shoulder transition very slick, fell off three times, absolutely MINCED down some scary descents. Took ages over it too, so the long-time setup of the bike is fine (need some double-wrap tape on the bars though).
July 15, 2005
- 4 more miles fixie errands on Lance.
July 14, 2005
- Four miles fixie errands on Lance.
July 12, 2005
- Just some power cleans today, 5x 35, 45 and 55 kilos. Hard on the wrists: I think my form's off.
July 11, 2005
- Oh yes. 30 mile commute on the fixie, solo - the last time I did the home leg, it was with a beer stop and Sam pacing me up the long drag. Today, just me and the Crystal Method. Feeling very sore and very chuffed.
July 07, 2005
- 25 miles today; skived the dull bit in the middle by train so we could buy booze :)
July 06, 2005
- It's Olympic celebration night. London's got the 2012 Games and I'm feeling all misty-eyed and enthusiastic. So in honour of that, here's some new weightlifting goals to take me past the summer cycling season and into autumn: clean and jerk and snatch, both bodyweight.
Assiduous readers will notice that the fatloss programme has faltered. Frankly, yep: I can diet on eph, but off the eph I bounce right back. That's not a lifestyle, so I think I may have exhausted the ab-quest malarkey. I still intend to run - it's a great gut-controller - but not while it's so bloody hot. And a real sporting lift gives me a real sporting target. I like targets.
Anyway, tonight was a little session to get the feel of the oly lifts: sets of five at 30, 30 and 35kg on the bar (that light 7kg bar). The snatch is a funny one, but I think I see what's going on there. Some reading to do on form.
July 05, 2005
- 30 mile commute. Rainy and hard work!
July 04, 2005
- 4 miles lunchtime fixie errands.
July 02, 2005
- Just a couple of miles trailer errands.
July 01, 2005
- 20 miles on the fixie. Filthy weather on the way home so I wussed out and took the train...
Got to the end and not found the entry you're looking for? Check the archive for older stuff. This blog started on May 1st 2002, so don't expect to find anything before then.