May 31, 2005
- Weekly weigh-in: 97.0 kg, 30%. Oh yes :)
May 29, 2005
- 4 trailer miles with the two-trailer road train, then later, 4 mile run in the heat - grim but necessary.
May 25, 2005
- 20 fixie miles. Very hard, took the train back.
May 23, 2005
- 30 steady, solid miles today.
May 22, 2005
- Four in a row and counting: 24 miles at a good pace on the fixie through gently rolling Devon countryside. Yep, we went to the pub! Now, who put Winkleigh on top of a hill, eh? Eh?
May 21, 2005
- Busy day: 4 miles trailer errands before the skies opened. Later, a 3 mile run along the ridge in the rain: first proper, decent run since the Half and it was good, not nice but quick at 25:20. Also, I've upped the eph to three tabs so thats 24mg 3x daily.
May 19, 2005
- Did it! The full commute (plus pub diversion) on the fixie. 33 miles, including the killer hill which, like always, doesn't really seem so killer now. Booyah!
May 18, 2005
- 30 mile commute, nice and easy, good times in good weather.
May 16, 2005
- Weekly weigh-in: 98kg, 28.5% bf. Yay!
May 15, 2005
- A happy hour's offroading on the fixie. Fitted a 63" gear and some 'cross tyres: good for fire roads and trails, not good for rooty singletrack.
May 13, 2005
- Five miles fixie errands around town.
May 12, 2005
- 23-odd fixie miles - still took the train back, but did overdistance in the morning and damn, it hurt. Good hurt, though. No, really!
May 11, 2005
- 34 miles - commute plus a lunch date. Made it home in a record time of 55 minutes - great conditions, good legs, good mood. Very happy.
May 10, 2005
- 3 mile run. Hard, grumpy, not nice.
May 09, 2005
- 30 miles commute, lovely day, nice tunes, did the run back without stopping for pies for a change (but I am on three shots of ECA today, so I'm running on fumes).
May 08, 2005
- 4 miles trailer chores today.
Right, that's my week off after the Run. Time to get back in the jug. Three months to go until the Dun Run and it's on a fixie. So, fixie commute at least once a week, all the mileage my legs can handle, and some longer expeditionary runs on both bikes. Goal is still fatloss and the ECA starts again tomorrow morning. I'll run - 4-5 miles - on nights when I don't ride (and don't declare recovery - I'm not a machine). And time to get serious on some of the crap I've been eating - I think the ethical rule ought to kill off most of the choccy.
May 07, 2005
- Just a couple of miles trailer chores today. Been off the eph for a few days having a general recover-a-thon after the big run, and so I've been eating badly and am now chocka with good old self-loathing. Back on tomorrow. It's really amazing how effective the ephedrine's appetite-suppresant effect is.
May 05, 2005
- 35 miles, commute and lunchtine scurry. Killer headwind on the way home, ate everything that wasn't nailed down. Bum.
May 04, 2005
- Just 4 miles pootling around town on the fixie today: too many chores to train tonight.
May 03, 2005
- 12 bike miles, down to the shops, nice and easy to get my legs moving again.
May 01, 2005
- Blimey. That was hard.
I finished the Exeter half marathon in 2:22:51 (official timing is off due to the good old start bottleneck). That's slower than I wanted and I found it very, very hard. The first mile or so was slow because of runner traffic: the 10k had whooshed along, and I was surprised to be held up instead of whooshed this time. A newbie error, that - one to file under Experience.
The course was hilly. And of course it was a full three and a bit miles over my previous max distance, so while I was OK until about mile 10, miles 11 and 12 were ghastly, with my hips very nearly cramping. No blisters, though. The last mile was carried by the crowd, and I finished in better order than I felt.
I took two energy gels, meaning to have them just before drink points at miles 5 and 10. I missed one drink point, which left the second gel sitting heavily in my belly for about twenty minutes: another newbie error.
So, yay, I did it! Boo, it wasn't quite the triumph I had hoped for. If there is a next time, I shall definitely do overdistance training beforehand.
Got to the end and not found the entry you're looking for? Check the archive for older stuff. This blog started on May 1st 2002, so don't expect to find anything before then.