May 30, 2003
- Back and biceps at home. Restricted somewhat by the weights I've got and by not being able to rack a bar high, but what the hey.
Good morning 25kg x15, 34kg x20, 39kg x20 (can't get more overhead and onto shoulders safely)
Barbell curl 25kg x8, 7, 7, 6, 5. Boom!
Bent-over barbell rows 25kg x12, 12, 12, 12, 12 (should have put more weight on, neh?)
Wrist roller 2x fulls sets of 4 each. Yay!
- In Barnstaple on Wednesday and as I had a few hours to kill, I dropped into BG Fitness in the town centre. They kindly let me play without all that usual bollocks - much respect thereunto. Mind you, they only had a Smith, and having now squatted on one, I'm back to the free barbell as soon as I can!
Smith squat 40kg x10 (hmm, what's this thing all about? ahh...), 70kg x10, 85kg x7, 110kg x4, 120kg x2 (right knee). Interesting: none of the usual effects on my stabilisers at all. Feels like cheating to me!
Standing calf raise in the Smith 120kg x10 (and then the block started to collapse... whoops)
Swiss ball cunches 15, 7, 7 (backache, check form)
T'ai chi for a warmdown.
May 27, 2003
- Chest, triceps and shoulders today, early in the morning (after a flat on the car, ho-hum). I might lob this routine up before the lads on MT becuase it doesn't feel like enough chest volume. I always say that, though!
Warmup on the rower, 500m on #7.
Dips at 70lb assist x10, 58lb x7, 46lb x5.
Hang clean (short bar) 15kg x9, 20kg x8, 25kg x5.
Bench press 20kg x10, 30kg x4, x2. Not ideal to do these last!
May 24, 2003
- Great back and biceps session. Went in with a lot of pent-up frustration, and maxd out on the deadlift. Yay!
Warmup 500m on the rower at #7. I'm trying to get more into the warmup/warmdown drill to improve both performance and recovery.
Deadlift 80kg warmup x10 (quite a heavy warmup), 115kg x5, 135kg x2 (belt on now), 145kg x1, 152.5kg x1 (new PB).
Barbell curl using the EZ bar, 15kg x10, 17.5kg x8, x7.
Dumbbell shrug 40kg x 8, 7, 3 - right hand grip died as usual.
Bent-over barbell rows (short bar) 20kg x8, 8, 10. Review the form on this one, it's new.
Chins (large assist, #18) x6, 5, 3 (well, what do you expect?)
Warmdown 1km on the rower at #7, taking it easy.
May 23, 2003
- Rather an unsatisfying chest/triceps/shoulders session in the Pyramids gym (pressed for time and a crowded gym, which I hate). Pyramids is a fitness gym, so no barbells, hence:
Dips at 76lb x10, 58lb x10, 46lb x4.
Dumbbell shoulder press 12kg x10, 14 x6, 12 x5.
Dumbbell bench press 12kg x8, x8, 14kg x7, 16kg x3.
Dumbbell flyes (bench incline #3) 12x6, 8x6 (!)
Lots of sharp loading on the anterior deltoid here. Not much goodness.
May 19, 2003
- Squats! Love 'em. Went heavy today to get used to the belt.
Squat 70kg x10 warmup, then 90x8, 100x5. With the belt, 110 x3, 120 x2. Could have gone more but was exhausted.
Standing calf raise 230kg x17, 280 x17, 330 x17.
Incline crunches (#3) 15, 12 (cramp!), 5 (cramp!).
May 16, 2003
- Well, it was meant to be a bench day, but people were using the gear, so I did some other things instead, Pushed my hang clean weight up a lot by doing it first (!), and the view was good too.
Hang clean 15kg x 10, 20kg x7, 22.5kg x5. Short bar.
Dumbbell shrug 40kg x12, 11, 10. You beauty! Consolidate this for a while before going up to the 50s!
Dips 70lb assist x10, 56lb x8, 46lb x4.
Oops! I just noticed that I missed blogging the following session from the weekend:
11/5/2003 Back and biceps - tried Good Mornings for a change and found them to be fun. I'll definitely alternate these and deadlifts on my back days for a while.
Good Morning 20kg x12, 40kg x10 (this seems like a good warmup weight), 60kg x10 (that's work), 70kg x7, 80kg = argh, too much. So start with 40 and go up. That's a lot more weight than I expected.
EX Curl 15kg x10, 17.5 kg x7.
Chins #18 x6, 7, 3 superset with
Seated cable row #7 x10, #8 x8, #9 x4.
May 07, 2003
- Chest, shoulders and triceps. A good session today, finished off with some T'ai chi (short and stick form) in the car park. Lovely.
Barbell bench press 20kg x12, 30kg x8, 35kg x3.
Incline bench press 15kg x8, 20kg x4.
Hang clean 12.5kg x8, 17.5kg x6, 20kg x5.
Dumbbell shrugs 40kg x12, 10, 12.
Dips 70lb assist x12, 58lb x5, x4.
May 06, 2003
- Squats. Weird session today. Ate too late, then banged out 70kg x12 and 85kg x10 before going to the belt. What I found was that the 100kg squats were really rather easy with the additional lower-back stability offered by the belt, it was also incredibly uncomfortable due to the belt cutting into my abdomen. Clearly, some loss of bodyfat would help! As would breaking the belt in. When I took the belt off, my lower back was as bad as it ever was, really tight and sore. I think I need to work on my form.
- I've been slack - got fired last week and wasn't in the mood to train. I am now :) Last week's mileage: 41.4.
Got to the end and not found the entry you're looking for? Check the archive for older stuff. This blog started on May 1st 2002, so don't expect to find anything before then.