November 28, 2002
- Lunchtime gym: Chest and triceps. Thought I'd give lunchtime training a try (leaving a gym bag at work) so I can make more efficient use of my day. Session was good considering how long it's been, 13:00-14:00 slot is medium quiet (actual training time was about 35 minutes).
Bench press 20Kg x 10, 25Kg x 10, x 5
Incline bench press 10Kg x 12, 15Kg x 6 and then I got pinned, 10Kg x 6. Failure was in the right tricep.
Shrugs, 30Kg dumbbells, 3 x 10. Aim for 12 next time.
Dips, 76lb assist x 10, x 6; 88lb assist x6. Well exhausted from the bench.
November 27, 2002
- Work and back with the trailer, which was loaded to about 30Kg for the return trip. Blimey, that was hard work and took a long time. Veg box on Friday? Heh heh heh...
November 26, 2002
- Yesterday: Abortive upper body session at home, just lost motivation. Total weekly mileage 49.6.
November 20, 2002
- ...and home again, the long way, total evening ride of about 20 miles. Bonked out badly and had to stop in Crediton for fuel. It's interesting to note that the bonk includes significant mental changes: you become slow-witted, surly, and thoughts tend to the negavite. Identifying this as the bonk rather than sensible thought is important to me as it means I can manage it better. After a (huge) snack, my mood lifted dramatically, my energy came back, and I pootled the rest of the way home. Mind you, I was a corpse this morning!
November 19, 2002
- Bike, 17.5 miles, very slow today, average speed 12.1 mph.
November 17, 2002
- Weekly total mileage: 89.2. I'm very happy with that, though my legs can certainly feel it tonight. It's nice to be riding, feels good, clean and decent.
I've been out of the gym lately as I'm down on my hours at work: I need to work some lates in order to make it up, and that takes out my free slots in the gym. Even so, I think I need a session to keep me smiling. In all likelihood, I'll not manage more than once this week so I'll do an intense, abbreviated core strength routine: squats, bench and deads, and that's all. With luck I can bolster that with a garden session.
November 06, 2002
- In the garden for arms and shoulders, sans grip work. Reasonably solid:
Barbell curl 15kg x 10, 10, 10. Sweet. Aim for 12 next time.
Reverse barbell curl, overhand grip 12kg x 10, 10, 10. Again, aim for 12 next time.
Dumbbell shoulder press 10kg x 10, 10, 10. Blimey, go for 12 next.
Lateral raise 10kg x 8, 8, 8. Target 10 next time.
Bench dips x 10, 8, 10. Consolidate at 10.
November 05, 2002
- 34.5 miles yesterday, no great speed 'cos I worked AFD and hit my thumb with an axe on Sunday.
November 03, 2002
- Friday: Deadlifts. Deadlift 55Kg x 10, 75Kg x 1, 85Kg x 8 (5,3, rh grip). Chins 96lb assist x 5, 100lb assist x8, 6. Back row #8 x 8, 7, 7. Again, grip was the kilelr. Next time, do this without teh deadlifts? Or split the biceps work to the weekend session? Hmm...
Saturday: 12 miles, 6 & 6.
Sunday: Hit thumb with an axe while chopping wood. Bugger.
Total weekly mileage: 12.5.
Gentlemen, I am feeling fat. My lower ribcage actually aches because of my awesome belly. I blame Boris - the van means I drive a lot more and do a lot less, and am becoming a sedentary person who lifts weights rather than an active person who also lifts weights. Well, bugger that. I just ran my finances and it turns out that I can't afford to run the van as much as I have been, so I don't have any choice. Time to pump up Dave's tyres and sew some reflective patches on my bibs, chaps. En velo!
Got to the end and not found the entry you're looking for? Check the archive for older stuff. This blog started on May 1st 2002, so don't expect to find anything before then.