August 29, 2002
- There and back again, 35 miles. Back was hurting at the end of that.
August 28, 2002
- Hamstrings, upper and lower back, biceps, forearms. Home barbell session; light week (to get back in form for heavy stuff).
• Deadlift 15x15 w/u, 40x10, 45x10
• Stiff-leg deadlift 25x15 w/u, 45x10, 45x10
• Bent-over row 15x15, 25x10, 30x8
• Bar Curl 15x10, 6, 5 & 10 empty bar (a sort of drop set)
• Chins: Haven't got the chin bar set up yet. Doh!
• Wrist roller 10x2 and a bit. Wow, that's hard.
Finished with a hot-then-cold shower and a little meditation. Feel good after that lot. Nicely centred and stable. Strong, and not just physically. Slept well.
August 21, 2002
- Crac! Boum! Aiee! Dumbed it up on squat day, went too heavy and sprung my left erector. Bugger bugger bugger. Solution: next week is Light Week, and for now I'm pampering my back. Which ain't easy when it hurts enough to stop you sleeping...
August 16, 2002
- One day after bench: My tits hurt.
August 15, 2002
- Ride in, 17.5mi in 1:12; Chest, shoulders and triceps day in the gym: Bench (smith) 20x15, 40x8, 45x3; Incline bench (smith) 20x12, 30x7, 35x2; Shoulder press 12x7, 5, 10x8 superset with side laterals 7.5x6, 6, 5; Dips @ 76kg assist x8, x4. Lost a lot of upper body strength in that time off, but hey, I havent worked upper body properly in just over two months. It'll come back.
August 13, 2002
- I've been listening to my body a bit lately and it's been saying something quite clearly: don't do two days in a row. You're not in that sort of shape yet. That's a direct line to all that overtraining and illness that's such a pain in the arse. So no bench tonight, I'll bike in tomorrow and bench after work. Hell, with a three-day split I needn't do two days in a row anyway, and wearing my HIT Jedi hat, I could argue that longer than a week is potentially beneficial in thislow-rep high-weight type of training. So there.
- Light bar work at home: Squats: 25, 30, 35x15 superset with lunges 3x12@25, 30, 35. Desultory crunches 1x20. Still can't find the form for front squats. Bar work was limited by the weight of bar I could safely get overhead. Floor too messy to crunch.
August 07, 2002
- Ride to work and back, 36 miles. Also deadlift day in the gym: Deadlift 50x10, 80x6, 90x4, 100x2; stiff-leg deadlift, 50x8, 70x8, 75x3 right-hand. grip went; preacher curl: 15x12, 17.5x10, 20x2 superset with reverse curls 5x10, 5x10, 7.5x10. Unable to do rows, lat pulldowns or chins as my grip went! Clearly, grip work is necessary. Deliciously sore the morning after, by by gum, the ride home was hard (lots of stops, over 90 minutes). It's good to be back in the gym.
August 02, 2002
- Work: there and back again. Lost a tooth in the process (damn sticky Go bar!) but did it, easily and in good grace. I let negative thoughts (aiee, so far... aiee, so steep... aiee, bonk-of-death) get in the way. But now it's done, they're nicely exorcised - the ride was fun - and that's another 34 miles for the week.
Got to the end and not found the entry you're looking for? Check the archive for older stuff. This blog started on May 1st 2002, so don't expect to find anything before then.