July 31, 2002
- Work ride: 17 miles. I'm calling this training right now because it's not a daily thing, and because it is quite a bit further than I was riding before - a 34-mile round trip. This time, the ride in was fine, but the ride back was a bonk-out; I ended up relying on trains and sag-wagons to get me home. More attention needed on GI, hydration and blood sugar, methinks - even though my muscles were fresh, there was no infrastructure behind them.
Getting really, really itchy for the gym now, but house-moving logistics have got in the way. I think I'll improvise something with the free weights I have at home tonight. Can feel myself getting irascible. All that testosterone, don'tcha know?
July 25, 2002
- 20th-21st July: Dunwich Dynamo. Blimey, we did it! 115 miles overnight from Hackney to Dunwich. Fab. Hard in places - the ride was gentle, but the 2-3am metabolic low was a beast, and after feeding at the faery palace I was taking pace from Sam and John. We made good time - 8:30 in the saddle, a total trip time of about 10:30. My bonk-prevention strategy of eating a Power Bar every 45 minutes worked a treat, though right near the end I needed some emergency gel to pep me up - I was flagging and man, the cuppa in the Flora Tea Rooms on Dunwich Beach (lovely view of Sizewell) was necessary. Now my right ankle hurts - just inflammation - but that was great. It's good to know that I can put my money where my mouth is and ride a century. I feel that I can concentrate on weights now with honour.
I'll now be out of the gym until we've got the house moved (this weekend): then all the fun of setting up a home arrangement.
July 16, 2002
- Splishy: Snorkelling at Maidencombe. Not really training but great exercise - especially lugging the kit up and down the cliff path. And we got crabs!
July 15, 2002
- Bike: 30 undulating miles. Wanted to do more by my new saddle tore up my arse. Will swap back to the old one for now and try another test ride, before the Dun Run at the weekend.
July 09, 2002
- Been off sick - a nasty lurgy that makes me weak, sleepy and cough a lot. Tried a bench day yesterday and it was just no-go. Am leaving it until my breathing is clear before I go back in - which may mean a couple more weeks, as the Dun Run is soon. Bum.
Got to the end and not found the entry you're looking for? Check the archive for older stuff. This blog started on May 1st 2002, so don't expect to find anything before then.